Monday, October 27, 2014

My First Birth

Today I attended my first birth. I was lucky enough to have it be the birth of one of my long-time and best friends. It was such an incredible experience and she was so incredibly strong. Over 24 hours of labor, stalling at over 10 hours at 7 cm, then quickly dilating the last 3 and pushing her beautiful baby into the world all within an hour. She was incredibly strong, doing it all naturally, even in the face of some no so professional or kind nurses and doctors. She was superwoman though and ignored it as best she could, pushing her baby into the world with strength and grace.
It has reminded me just how strong and beautiful woman and birth are. This is what our bodies were built for, and it is just incredible to see. I have been on the other side 4 times, and this side feels equally incredible. I have another birth coming up very quickly, likely within the next couple of days, and I am more than thrilled. It makes me feel so wonderful and honored to hear how much I am helping these women when they are in the most important situations they will ever face. Birth can be and should be an amazing and powerful experience and I feel so blessed to be able to call something I love so much bomy profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment